The following is taken from the book " Book in a Month" by Victoria Schmidt, Ph.D.
The five secrets to keeping the momentum of your writing moving forward are:
Secret number 1) work as if - which means that as you write and decide to make a change in plot, character, or setting (make a note on the margins of the change made and keep writing as if you have already gone back and made your change (Don't stop your forward momentum by going backwards and changing the character.
for example:
Betty was a nurse at County General working the graveyard shift. She liked working in the dead of night because she felt she was away from the general madness that takes place on the other shifts.
[AUTHOR'S NOTE] I decided to change Betty from a nurse to a kindergarten teacher so she can be closer to children.
Betty liked her job because now that her own children were grown she could still be around youngsters who appreciated her.
Secret number 2) Leave out subplots (to get a book finished fast this is a must) Side plots and subplots tend to distract you the author from the main plot.
Secret number 3) be realistic -MOST IMPORTANT SECRET - Don't try to write more than you can - if work, kids, and other things (holidays) take up your time so be it - DO WHAT YOU CAN as far as writing goes
Secret number 4) Don't use guilt or shame as motivation to write, don't put yourself down for not writing enough, or good enough - Just write as much as you want because you like what writing your book does for your own self-esteem. Positive motivation always is better than negative motivation
Secret number 5) Trust Yourself - when nagging little (or big) doubts come into your head such as 'Is this good enough' or 'I don't think I can do this' - TRUST YOURSELF - trust that you will make some adjustment in order to deal with whatever comes up
YOU CAN DO THIS
The author admits that secrets 4 and 5 are psychological in nature but says that a trick of writing is learning how to deal with yourself and the ways you block yourself.
I hope this helps you.
Frank
Stories
Friday, December 26, 2008
Writing a Book in Month
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thank you, Frank! for providing this blog and for all the great information on tapping into our creative self. I enjoyed attending your class.
Neat blog..I haven't submitted anything since the birth of my daughter. I just lost my groove.
Hey Lin...great post. All people in every walk of life need positive support and direction.
It is amazing what a little positive self-confidence can do for a persons height!
I am also following your blogs & thank you!
~D~
These are good... I'm going to have to pick up a copy of that book.
Post a Comment