In the book, "Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron, the author has an
exercise about describing several of your secret selves - i.e.: Steve
Slate would be my secret self who is a detective. This is the name of
my 'psyche part' that is determined to find out the truth, no matter
what. This part of me will turn over every rock and look in every dark
corner; this is the part of me that likes to do that.
Lately,( five minutes ago), I have wondered why I don't have a name
for my writing self. Samuel Clemons did. His was Mark Twain. I think
that having a writing name will enable me to focus on writing better and
to give me shelter from criticism. For instance, if I am thinking about
writing something that I am not comfortable writing (dark stuff?) I can
use a different name, an alias, that gives me distance from people who
might be offended.
Also, a writing name can give one an affirmation. I take a sacred (to
me) writing name and I will honor it. Therefore I must be serious about
writing. (or silly enough to write). Therefore, I must have a soul of a
writer. Therefore I must be a writer. Yes, I am writer!! And I have no
blocks !!! (SURE, keep dreaming).
So if you take this assignment on try to create several writing names
and pick the one that feels best for you now. It can also be our secret
code name (used when amongst non-writers). If you want to go further,
write an essay why this name feels right for you or write about how you
came to choose this name.
That's all for now!
Frank
P.S. Give me feedback on this assignment - like? dislike? why?

0 comments:
Post a Comment