I was the puppy dog who waited for the pat on the head. "Good boy" I wanted to hear. "Well done" would have sent my tail wagging.
But instead you said we weren't friends anymore. We had gone our separate ways. You had other friends: sophisticated, educated, artistic. They served you better.
I was left behind to wonder why, where had I gone wrong? Was it something I said? Was I too simple, too devoted? Too naive? Too pathetic? Just not good enough?
After all we had been through. All the letters exchanged. All the ways I tried to help you. It meant nothing?
Maybe I knew too much, knew you too well, knew you past, your failings, knew your vulnerabilities, your mistakes.
You wanted to start fresh, the new you, who had a new pet to do your bidding. Come. Sit. Stay. Now.

3 comments:
You have such a great way of writing about things that we all go through. I had the same thing happen and felt the exact same way--but I could never have been so eloquent as you in describing it. It helped make sense of my own hurt. It was interesting that you used a dog as a metaphor. I always look forward to your writing!
Miss Mutti - you have written something special - I call it poetry - it is a tale of heart break and wondering - it leaves me wondering : have I treated people that way ? What was the cost to them ? - a good piece of poetry incorporates devices such as metaphor(puppy dog) to bring a point to light - there is nothing in your piece that says who you are other than the person left behind - we do not know your gender, age, etc. - This makes your piece universal - I think you could publish this as poetry.
FRANK
Good beginning and end with dog metaphor. Quickly grabbed my interest and then got into some emotional questioning. You are very creative and have a style all your own, yet always have something relevant we can all relate to. I like your questions and answers to yourself throughout. Time to get publishing, you're on a roll!
Marlotus
Post a Comment