Stories

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day is Memorable

Memorial Day is Memorable

Who doesn't love their grandchildren? Ava is eight and Chloe is two. One is very blond and the other is a red head. I spend all morning buying groceries, making potato salad, getting a wading pool for the backyard, cleaning house, putting out play dough, marbles, pick-up sticks, puzzles and Old Maid cards. Ava says "Can I watch T.V.?" Chloe says "Ice cream, Grandma?" They look for Marty, my cat, who runs away. They pour chocolate sauce on my new rug, roll marbles down the stairs, dump guacamole into the cold air return, dirty every glass, spoon, towel and plate that I own. Ava pinches her finger on the swing and cries for what seems like hours; Chloe cries because Ava is crying. When they leave, I do two dishwasher-fulls, one load of laundry, turn the chocolate stain to a sickly beige, slip on a marble, and find a wet bathing suit in the waste basket. Marty is still hiding. And the Fourth of July isn't far away!

2 comments:

Tao Master said...

That's what grandmothers are for. You gotta love it. I like this slice of life.
FRANK

Soulsearcher said...

My two little granddaughters wreak havoc on our house when they visit, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I always buy extra whip cream for them to eat for breakfast...where else but at Grandma's?