I plump up the pillow and turn it over to the cool side. Squeezing my eyes shut, I will myself to sleep. Now, I say, let go, float in space, relax, don't think about anything. Don't plan your day for tomorrow, don't write out your shopping list in your head. Just dream of peace, of cold raindrops on the window pane. Watch the path of a drop as it glides down to the sill. Hear it plop when it falls to the ground and soaks into the spongy earth, oozes into the roots of a weed that's gnarled around the crack in the sidewalk. Follow the drop as it snakes up the stem, bleeds into a leaf and spreads to the jagged tips. It pauses, undecided, where to go next. Should it continue nourishing or skip to the surface and roll away? The shiny liquid sphere wants to be on its own, to jump into the darkness, reflect the moon, mirror the sky, wash the world clean with its watery coolness. It has its own dream.
Stories
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ahhh, Mutti--such loveliness when you write! I just wait to read what you have written. Lovely piece!
I liked the "cool side of the pillow"--how true. When I was a child and had a bad dream, my mom would mumble from her side of the bed to "Just turn your pillow over. That's where the good dreams are." I really believed that until I had kids of my own and realized that she just didn't want to get up! To this day, whenever I get up in the night, I turn my pillow over to the cool side!
I can relate to that drop, with its own dreams. This was a lovely piece. I'm glad to see you've posted again.
And you said you are having problems writing these days. I think not. Perhaps the support of all those new aspiring writers helped. They certainly had good energy, didn't they? Hope this poem-story jumpstarts your writing again. Your poem/story flows and has very dream-like qualities to it. I like how you jumped from yourself to talking about the raindrop's personality. Yet kept it all connected. And amazing how you wrote about rain even though the sun was blazing at the Center. Kept my interest. Have fun at your class reunion this weekend, bet you'll have lots of material for another story or two!
Post a Comment