Stories

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Welcome to my world

I wish I could say that everything is rosy here in WriterWorld - but it is not. It is morning the day after the class day and I wonder if life is worth living (again). I think that I do this every week the day after the class. This is the first day-after that I even feel like writing so I think I might be making progress. I hope that the new people are able to make accounts for themselves and use the Blog. My thinking is selfish - I want people to write more and to work through non-writing - perhaps they can inspire me or each other by posting writings (thoughts, ideas, comments. . .etc)
Right now I have grabbed a interface for the blogger and I am testing it out. It is supposed to allow me to go from text editor to blog without having to deal with the aggravating blog post editor. I say that because no matter how carefully I word my posts paragraphs, the blog editor takes things and posts them any which way - so I want up looking stupid with 2 word lines and no indentations to start paragraphs. I don't dare even try form poems.
But that is off the subject - I want people and this means YOU - to be gentle with yourselves. Writing creatively is tough, especially for adults. The reason is that by the time we reach adulthood, we have learned to turn off our creative processes. Very few adult jobs allow you to be creative. Most jobs in our society follow this path: do the job correctly then do it again and again and again and again with minor variations. the thinking and creativity is for higher ups. So therefore, the older you are the harder it is to access your creativity.
Our brains want to justify being creative so we tell ourselves that we can make money and become famous writers and drive big cars and get invited to Hollywood parties. We tell ourselves that our writing has to be a certain way and that is NOT how creative writing works. Creative writing comes from the place of PLAY. When you were a child, your mother did not have say anything else but go and play. You did not need INSTRUCTIONS. You just did it.
My hope is that everyone will go back to that play place in their mind and pick up a pen or crayons and see what happens. That is my real assignment for this week. See you next wednesday,
Frank

2 comments:

Soulsearcher said...

After reading this I decided to get going and create an account to add to the blog! I am thinking that, in addition renaming myself, I need to write with a differnt medium, maybe a crayon or a marker for awhile, just to tap into my playful side. Creative writing as play is an interesting premise because it so often feels like work--not so much the actual writing, but coming up with an idea. Although, maybe that's not really true because you have given us ideas and it still feels like work. I spend too much time thinking about it and not enough time playing with it.

mutti said...

I can relate to the part about feeling I need to have something to show for my creative product. It's not enough to just keep piling up stories, poems, paintings in drawers--maybe it should be, since it's the process that's the most rewarding, but when I worked in past times, I got a paycheck. Now I get a sore butt from sitting so long at the computer!

mutti