Stew
I’m replaying the scene over and over again in my mind. Sometimes I’m so bothered by the interaction that I actually say the words I’m replaying out loud, just to comfort myself. How could things have gotten so ugly and so misconstrued in such a short time? Why didn’t you say something earlier instead of letting it build into this ugly mountain of resentment?
“Listen……….” I cut the potatoes.
“You always………….” The carrots are peeled. The onions diced.
“I hate it when you………….” Chop the meat into bite sized pieces.
“You said………………” Add 1 cup of water and some beef stock.
“You think you are…………..” Seasonings. Salt, Pepper, bay leaf.
“Why do you………..” Garlic. Lots of that.
“You did………….” Worchester sauce gets added, you know, for a kick.
“I don’t want you to……………” Plop it all into the pot.
“I’m tired of……………” Turn the heat on low.
Let simmer for hours. And against my better judgment, that’s exactly what I do.
Stories
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment