Stories

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Write here, right now

I want to write something profound here but I don't have anything to special to say. Writing anywhere (on paper, on computer) can be a scary experience. But for me, it is a fun time because I have learned to let go of all the restrictions that English teachers have taught me. They might have had my best interests in mind when they told me about the rules of writing but as an experience, writing became unfun when I incorporated all the rules. Proper Writing was like eating vegetables, good for you but ick (an aquired taste). I want to have fun and I want to have fun writing. I believe to do so you need to let go of all you learned about writing. Poetry does not have to rhyme. Stories do not have make sense. Characters do not have to be good. or smart. or sensible. Super heroes do not have be perfect. Monsters do not have to scary. What are your rules about writing? Break them and see how you feel about it. Be daring! Surprise yourself. Scare yourself. Find out what is inside of you. Let it out and let it go. If you love what you have written, keep writing it. But above all, I encourage you to write. That is what creative writing is to me : the expression of self, the expression of the soul. Let your voice be heard - write.

2 comments:

butterfly woman said...

Hi Frank,
I feel I always stop myself because
I have to do it right. And worry what others will think. And sometimes the stuff that comes out in my writing is scary. I really just want to have fun. I like your philosophy and your blog site. The Center is a pretty, safe place to be creative.
Sincerely,
Beverly Bronson

mutti said...

I agree. Let's just have fun and enjoy the process. Who cares if it's not always politically correct, or anyway "correct"? We all have stories, even from way back. When I write, things come back to me I thought I had long forgotten. Sometimes it's someone else's story that helps trigger mine.