Stories

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Answers From a Crabby Old Dead Woman

My name is Donna Humphrey. I have heard the sighs of people wondering about me. Now I realize that I am dead but I also think that people are getting the wrong ideas about me. I have asked this nice young man to channel my thoughts, organize them and print them on his blog. I was a simple western woman.
I chose my man because he could provide for me and because in those days he was the closest thing I was going to get to 'true love'. We had some damn good times on the ranch and we had some piss awful ones too. I had me a daughter who I'm damn proud of but what did happen to me because of her high-faluting job ? I'll tell ya - I got killed by some nutcase who wanted to get to her. Ain't no justice in that.
But getting back to my writing, I thought when I was a young pup that I might become a writer or a poet and I might have if I hadn't listened to them know-it-alls, you know the people who tell ya their ain't no money in poetry and that your man'll commit ya if youse write crazy stuff like them other poetesses - you know that one Sylvia something and her friend Sexton. Both of them offed themselves. They are not a pretty sight up here either.
But getting back to my writings - the reason I never showed them to anybody was that I didn't think anyone would care. Hell, they are what kept me sane on the long winters when I was cooped up with inside with no one to talk to 'cept ma kids and the old man. They were my trip away from there, my release. I tried to make them good and honest but to tell the truth I never thought they was good enough, ya know, ta be in a book or anything like that. And I never would have shared them with the kids or the old man. They was my private property and they was oasis. no, I would never let the family see them. And I never would have 'cept I died before I could get rid of them.
And now I hear that daughter is trying to get them published. Well don't that beat all hell. I guess she thinks it's a good thing but I don't and I would tell her so if I was still around. Not that it would do any good. She never did listen to a word I said. I told her to quit her job. And do know what she said ? She said 'it not just a job, its a career'. Yeah and its one that got me killed that's what.
Well, thats all I got to say. I hope that them pretty little women stop thinking about me and go about their own business. Whew. All this talking to living folk has me all tuckered out. I'm gonna go lie down. St. Peter says hello. bye.

0 comments: