She asks me how did you meet your husband? Oh, dreaded question. I was lonely; he was lonely. Is it enough, I hope? No, she persists. Did he propose? I can't remember, I say, but I think so. What did he say? I don't know, other than that he did not say that he was lonely. Did you have a big wedding? We stole the flowers from potted plants, as I recall. What do you think makes a good marriage? I wouldn't know, I say. Maybe a loyal pet. A dog or cat that one can ask about. Is he in? Is he out? Has he been fed? That might keep the man and woman together. She is not amused. She has a formula--part this, part that, part sex. I'm finding it hard to listen. Does she have any idea what she's talking about? But I remind myself that this woman is 26 years old. She is dating my son. Does he fit her formula? She tells me that her own parents were very good looking and that is why they married. (They are now divorced.) I glance at my son. Yes, he is handsome. Yes, she is attractive. Will it be enough? Pour me another glass of wine, I say.
Stories
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
She seems to be wryly recalling events bittersweet, your heroine. She seems to want to tell her story to this child - this 26 year old child. My question is : How would the story read if she did ? If she could say these have been my experiences with love - this is what I know - What would she(26 year old) think then ? What would she(26 year old) say ?
I hope you write further with this because You have written it so well up to now. Keeping going. Or not - this is your choice.
Love it either way,
Frank
P.S. childhood's end is a poem and an amalgam of my own childhood. It happened and it never happened.
I admire the restraint in the woman. What good would it be to give her opinion? Does she hold back out of the love for her son? Would she alienate his love? Or is it all too painful to revisit? Made me think. lmk
I love how you still it mysterious and make the viewer want to know more. Will there be another discussion between these two? Or will the son get involved as well. I like the cat inference. I used to have a cat and blame everything in life on the cat. Poor thing had big shoulders I guess.
I love your style with asking of questions. Seems so natural to you.
Bev
Post a Comment